Fresh Squeezed Florida Frugality

by David Bakke

orangesAahhhh…… it’s that time of year again.  Spring is almost in the air and what that means for me personally is that it’s time for some Florida oranges again.

Let me explain.  I currently live in Atlanta, GA but I lived in Florida for many years.  When I was a resident there, I of course took the wealth of citrus there for granted, but since moving away, I have always missed those fresh Florida oranges.  More importantly, that fresh squeezed Florida orange juice.

It has almost become an addiction of mine.  So, to feed my addiction, as many times as humanly possible, I get as much of that citrus transported up here as I can, and I usually end up squeezing about 80% of my haul.

My family takes an annual Thanksgiving trip down to Florida, and one morning, or even afternoon, is usually devoted to picking as many of the fresh grapefruit and oranges that I can fit in my car.  Usually, about two full-sized garbage bags (yes, about two full-sized ones).  As I said, about 20% is kept for eating, and the other 80% is squeezed, with a good portion of that frozen for future use.

My sister Donna usually makes a trip through and Atlanta on her way down to Florida from her home in Cincinnati, and she is kind enough to also devote a morning to the same activity.  Spring break usually goes to my Mom, who will also take some nieces and nephews around to the neighborhood trees to pick some of the best citrus on Earth.

The time it takes to squeeze all of this is really worth it.  It is an activity that has already become a tradition for me and my young son.

I’d estimate that I get about three gallons of juice per each of these trips, so that works out to about $60 worth of fresh squeezed juice.   I would guess that I get another $30-$40 worth of free oranges for eating as well.   However, this is hardly the motivation for my doing so, it is just an added benefit.  For those of you who have ever had a glass of real, fresh squeezed orange juice, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

So if you’re lucky enough to have friends or relatives that live in Florida, take advantage the next time you visit them.  The Florida residents that I know have become completely jaded to the joys of their fresh citrus and the fresh-squeezed juice you can get from them, so I doubt you’d have any problem getting permission to start plucking from any of their trees.

So, as I said, there’s nothing like a little fresh squeezed Florida frugality.

Your comments and feedback are appreciated below.

{ 2 comments }

1 Brandy March 12, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I love driving into Florinda on the way on vacation and seeing people on the side of the road selling oranges. It just screams your in Florida now.
.-= Brandy´s last blog ..roly poly kelly =-.

2 David/Yourfinances101 March 13, 2010 at 12:27 am

Brandy

It sure does and there’s no better tasting citrus on Earth

Thanks for commenting!
.-= David/Yourfinances101´s last blog ..Fresh Squeezed Florida Frugality =-.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: